Interior Designing – The Kerala Style
Those who had visited Kerala- the pristine God’s own country will surely have a bunch of memories and will always inspire to take back their home. Kerala has got its mark for pristine natural endowment, tremendous magnificent architecture and much more.
Kerala is famous for its architectural taste which is influenced and inspired by both the ancient royalties and the Europeans. Every designed home whether a recent one or an ancestral one will definitely have a touch of old age architectural techniques and elements which with time gets on trendier.
There are certain specific highlights that you will find very common although in different versions and styles.
1. High ventilation blessed with a pleasant, moderate climate throughout the year with a few months of exceptionally heavy rains, Keralites loves to have extensively wide windows and ventilators in every single room.
2. Indoor courtyard or Nadumuttam which is a centre courtyard is one of the prominent spaces that one can always see in a Kerala style home. The centre inside the house is converted into a natural courtyard by either leaving the space empty or having a ‘tulasi thara” (A structure where a basil plant sits). The courtyard is bordered with huge pillars and is left open upwards.
3. Evolving styles for stairs the interior designs of a Kerala style house will inspire you to experiment. It is rare or very tough to find two houses having their stairs completed in a similar design. Some may like to blend the ancient model into the contemporary while others go for an admiring style.
4. Majestic doors and windows this is probably one of the striking interior elements of a house done in Kerala style. The doors and windows are always considered to be of great aesthetic value. The doors and especially the main entrance door & windows are given a majestic look with lots of carving & intricate detailing. The style indeed changes from time to time with each one becoming the newest trend in interior designing.
5. Love for wood is always given utmost preference for the interiors especially in a house in Kerala as it is regarded to be the best material for home decor which is so versatile that it can never be outdone by any material – in look or durability. Either it’s the door or windows or the wardrobes or the stairs- wood is so in love with these homes. The main purpose is the need to be ‘close to nature’ and that is what inspires the designs of Kerala house and how they attain them is what makes them stand out.